How would a world without batteries look like? For starters, there will no watches, flashlights, alarm clocks. Additionally, the kids will not have battery-operated toys to play with. Of course, there would have been other equivalents maybe, running on solar energy, but would it really be this fun? Perhaps not.
We rely on batteries to a great extent. A lot of essential commodities in our lives require batteries to operate. Though it is not an FMCG product, our regular and continuous use of the same makes batteries a non-dispensible item in our lives.
Of all the batteries that come in, handy AA batteries are the most common ones. Imagine, how would your TV controller operate without a set of AA batteries? But again, we want batteries to last long, and changing it daily is not possible. Unfortunately, cold weather conditions suck out the battery life. But we, might have a quick fix for that! Here is a list of the best AA batteries for cold weather. Along with that, We will provide you with all that you need to know about these batteries and things you should consider before buying these.
Reviews of the Best AA Batteries For Cold Weather
**Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Table of Contents
- 1 Reviews of the Best AA Batteries For Cold Weather
- 2 The Top 10 Best AA Batteries For Cold Weather Reviews
- 2.1 1. Energizer AA Lithium Batteries, World’s Longest Lasting Double A Battery
- 2.2 2. Duracell Procell PC1500 Alkaline-Manganese Dioxide Battery
- 2.3 3. Panasonic BK-3MCCA8BA eneloop AA 2100 Cycle Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries
- 2.4 4. Tenergy Premium Rechargeable AA Batteries, High Capacity 2500mAh
- 2.5 5. POWEROWL AA Rechargeable Batteries, 2800mAh High Capacity Batteries
- 2.6 6. AA AAA Rechargeable Batteries POWEROWL, Pre-Charged High Capacity 2800mAh
- 2.7 7. Bevigor Ultimate Lithium Double A Batteries
- 2.8 8. Tipsun Lithium Long Lasting Energy AA Batteries
- 2.9 9. Enegitech AA Long Lasting Lithium Batteries
- 2.10 10. Tenergy Solla Rechargeable NiMH AA Battery, 1000mAh
- 3 What are the AA batteries?
- 4 Things To Consider Before Buying AA Batteries For Cold Weather
- 5 Different Types Of AA Batteries:
- 6 Benefits Of Using AA Batteries
- 7 FAQS – AA Batteries For Cold Weather
- 8 Final Verdict
The Top 10 Best AA Batteries For Cold Weather Reviews
Now that you know all that you have to consider before buying these, let’s get on the best products that you can consider:
The Energizer AA Lithium Batteries are extremely powerful and works very well with high energy driven devices. Each of the batteries has a safety conscious and leak-proof design that ensures that the device in which it will be used in is safe from corrosion and leaking. Coming to the temperature range, the batteries can operate at extreme temperatures, ranging from -40F to 140° F.
Finally, the battery can be stored for 20 years or so thereby making these batteries the best options for high power devices and are sure to last long.
- Temperature range performance between -40F to 140° F, all year round in both indoors and outdoors
- Comes in a pack of twelve
- Leakproof construction
- Ideal for high power devices like surveillance systems, games, digital cameras
- Holds energy up to 20 years
- 20 percent increase in voltage compared to other alkaline batteries
- Makes light glow brighter and lasts long
- Does not leak
- Quote high voltage, thus not an ideal fit for regular household items
- Did not last very long for a few
Learn More: Best Battery Packs For Backpacking
The power that rests inside every Duracell battery is what gets the batteries going for long. Each battery by Duracell is packed by Quantum and its High-Density Core technology, Powercheck, and Duralock. Thus the batteries lasts quite long and can power a lot of household items.
The temperature range of these batteries are also reliable between negative 20 degrees Celsius to 54 degrees Celsius. The batteries can last even after being shelved away for 10 years. Ideally, these can be used in calculators, meters, door locks, phones, and much more.
- Ideal for use after shelving for 10 years
- Offers temperature range between negative 20 degrees Celsius to 54 degrees Celsius
- Best for household use
- Dimensions: 2.4 x 5 x 2.2 inches
- Batteries don’t leak
- Lasts for a very long tine
- Has a great shelf life
- The power does not hold up
- Does not have a regular battery life
- Batteries died quickly on TIVO remote
The Panasonic BK-3MCCA8BA can last in extreme temperatures below -4 F. The batteries can be recharged when they are fully or partially drained. The Eneloop Ni-MH ‘Low Self Discharge’ batteries make use of Panasonic’s advanced rechargeable cell technology. This allows the battery to be recharged almost 2100 times!
These battery cells are perfect for household items like gaming units, flashlights, wireless mouse, and much more. The batteries are perfect and can retain almost 70 percent of their charge when put away for 10 years. The power is almost 2000mAh for AA batteries. Plus, these are powered with solar energy during manufacturing.
- Lasts in extreme temperatures below -4 F
- Maintain recharge up to 2100 times
- Can retain 70 percent of the charge for almost 10 years
- Pre-recharged with solar energy during manufacturing
- Does not have a memory effect
- Batteries retain charge for a long time
- The battery charger charges quickly
- Light goes off on charger on the charger when charging is finished
- The charger makes a slight buzzing sound with pulsed current
- A high charge can impel the charger to reject batteries
- Lower discharge output than expected
The Tenergy Premium Rechargeable AA Batteries deliver high performance everywhere. It works extremely well outdoor with temperature ranging between Tenergy Premium Rechargeable AA Batteries. The batteries offer the highest capacity level possible. This is a great switch to make from regular Alkaline batteries.
These batteries are ideal for professionals especially photographers since they deliver faster and refreshed rates compared to any other alkaline batteries.
These rechargeable batteries can be used up to 1200 times. In that light, these batteries are environment-friendly as they need not be disposed of often like alkaline batteries.
Finally, the design has been kept leak-proof so that it does not damage devices due to corrosion.
- High power professional quality
- Can last in extreme temperatures between -4°F or 122°F.
- Great anti-leak design
- Eco-friendly and cost-saving
- Lasts for more than 10 years
- Ideal for professional cameras and flashes
- Can hold charge for months
- Does not charge in Panasonic charger
- Takes time to charge
- Lose charge if stored for a month or so in devices
The POWEROWL high capacity 2800mAh 1.2V AA Rechargeable Batteries work extremely well in temperature as low as -4 degree Celcius. Additionally, these batteries have a long shelf-life and can be charged over 1200 times.
Even after being stored away for 3 years, these batteries can retain almost 70 percent of their charge. The batteries have been manufactured in a Ni-MH environmental protection material that reduces heavy metal contamination.
The batteries have a wide application range and can be used in almost any household gadgets from TV remote controller to shavers.
- Has a low self-discharge
- Performs well in low temperature (up to -4 degrees)
- Provides environmental protection with its environmental protection material
- Power lasts for a long time
- Well-built design
- Easy and fast charging and holds charge for a long time
- Too short positive terminals
- Batteries are thicker than normal AA batteries
- May not fit a few gadgets
The 2800mAh Powerowl AA and AAA rechargeable batteries perform extremely well in low-temperature ranges below 4 degrees. These rechargeable batteries can last up to 1200 charges and has almost 70 percent of charge left after 3 years.
However, it advisable to fully recharge the battery before the first use. 60-80 percent charge must be given in every 3 months. The batteries do not contain Hg/Cd/Pb. These can be recycled and are thus eco-friendly.
The batteries are ideal for home use as they can be used in all types gadgets. Plus Powerowl provides a 30-day money-back warranty for 12 months.
- Environment-friendly can be recycled
- Has wide range applications
- Comes with 12 months warranty
- Has a long shelf life
- Comes with high capacity
- Extreme temperayure performace
- Coms in a sturdy package
- Lasts longer than other well-known brands
- Does not cause environmental damage
- Very easy to use
- Does not hold charge for long
- Charge drops right after charging
- Longevity is not outstanding
The 3000mAh 1.5V Bevigor AA Lithium Batteries performs well in extreme temperatures between -40F to 140 ° F and is ideal for both indoor and outdoor usage. The batteries are ideal for all household use and come in an extremely well-packaged deal. The batteries prevent any form of an accidental drop or short circuit, and provides a lot of protection.
The batteries have been constructed to provide three-layer safety and have a leak-proof design. Additionally, it has explosion-proof, anti-short circuit valves, and features a leak-proof sealing ring. A spiral wound battery setup has been used to prevent any form of leakage.
The batteries are ideal for both low and high-drain devices, Tv controllers, and much more. With these batteries installed in your device, you are guaranteed 100 percent customer satisfaction.
- Powerful 3000mAh 1.5V with lightweight batteries
- Safe and leak-proof design
- Can perform extremely well in wide temperature ranges
- Can be used in a lot of household appliances
- Ideal for professional photographers
- Well packaged to avoid any spills
- Has a high longevity
- Performance affected in hot weather
- Are a little expensive than the other brands in the market
- Are not as powerful as other lithium batteries
The Tipsun AA Lithium Batteries come in a pack of 12 and are very powerful 1.5V 2900mAh long-lasting cells. The high power Lithium AA Batteries are eight times more powerful than alkaline batteries.
The best part about these batteries is that they work under the extreme temperatures range from -40℃ to 60℃ throughout the year and function very well both indoors and outdoor. The Tipsun AA Lithium Batteries has a very stable performance with low self discharge around 2% per year. Keeping that in mind, this set of batteries has a 15-year long shelf life.
- Has an extreme temperature range from -40℃ to 60℃,
- Ideal for powering important devices like wireless mouse, cameras, games, RC cars and electric toothbrush
- Has a strong leak-proof design
- Has a self-life of 15 years with only 2 percent discharge per year
- Powered with 1.5V 2900mAh long-lasting power
- Long-lasting performance
- Ideal for extremely cold weather conditions
- Can perform very well with high power-draining devices
- Does not work well with blink cameras
- High power absorption in wireless cameras
- Performance might drop for some TV remote controllers
The Enegitech batteries is another brand that you can consider if you are looking for batteries to perform in cold weather conditions. These batteries last between -40 to 140F and feature a 3000mAh capacity.
The material used to make these AA batteries are super long-lasting and is a reliable power source for many devices. So, no more worry about your gadget shutting down.
Even though the batteries might be all-powerful, backing a lot of high power devices, these batteries are extremely environment-friendly, made out of Hg/Cd/Ph. Additionally, they are 30 percent lighter than most alkaline batteries.
Finally, its leak-proof design allows one to store the batteries for over 2 years without losing any power. It can be used on a wide array of devices including flashlights, remote control smoke detectors, digital and blink cameras, toys, and much more.
- AA Lithium batteries with 1 5V 3000mAh power
- Can perform well in extreme temperature
- Leak-proof design to protect devices up to 2 years
- Environmental-friendly material used in the manufacturing
- Works with a lot of devices
- Long-lasting performance
- Ideal to be used in cameras, especially blink cameras
- Product as advertised with the correct 3000mAh rating
- Difficult to charge
- Some batteries don’t hold the charge for long
- The lifespan of the batteries varies from one device to another
The Tenergy Solla AA Rechargeable NiMH Battery features the state of the art solar pro-technology. So, no more leaking due to overcharging with these batteries even during the long winter months. The solar pro-technology also eliminates the chances of having a dead battery in hand owing to over-discharging during the rainy and cloudy days. In simple words, these batteries are ideal to power up any solar light.
The power supplied by these batteries are quite reliable in nature and performs well in all seasons. The batteries have been manufactured to perform well in extreme temperatures ranges from -4°F to 122°F degree.
The batteries can last up to 2000 charges and discharges. Owing to their capacity, they can outlive most NIMH AA batteries by 4 to 5 times. These batteries can power up solar lights for at least 1-2 years without replacing the same.
Additionally, the material used in the manufacturing of these lights are extremely environment friendly, free from any sort of toxins, and heavy metals.
- Ready to use batteries
- Environment-friendly safe to use batteries
- Has a long battery life
- Has great durability while working outdoors
- Powered by solar pro technology
- Makes lights shine brighter
- Good performance at a reasonable price
- Each battery presents a uniform rating of 1.2V
- Some packs suffer from inconsistent quality
- Does not charge well
- Power does not last for long
What are the AA batteries?
Before you can even consider buying batteries, you will have first have to know what are AA batteries. These batteries are used in small, portable devices. Generally, they are 51 cm in length and around 14 mm in diameter. Since they are available commonly and are ideal to power low energy devices, their popularity is also quite prominent.
Things To Consider Before Buying AA Batteries For Cold Weather
There are a few things to consider before deciding on the type of battery you want to buy, or which might be ideal for you. However, this task is a bit time consuming and tricky.
Thus, going through the following considerations is crucial. There are a few things that you must look into before you make the purchase.
How long with a battery last? This is the first concern before buying a battery. A long-lasting battery will, of course, have a long shelf-life.
To ensure that you have checked the durability box, these three elements must be considered:
Run-Time: refer to how long a battery or a pack will run in a single-use.
Cycle Life: Refers to how many charges or discharges a rechargeable battery can hold till it can no longer retain any charge.
Shelf Life: The time-frame for which a battery can be stored without affecting its performance.
Type Of Device:
The type of devices falls into two categories:
Low Drain Type: These devices require a little amount of power, and that too in sudden bursts. Example: remote controller, clock.
High Drain Type: These devices require a lot of power at a steady rate. Example: digital camera, flashgun.
The type of device must be considered before buying the batteries.
Different Types Of AA Batteries:
There are different types of batteries available n the market. However, to pick out the right one, you need to understand the difference between Alkaline, NiMH, Lithium-ion, NiCd, and Lithium batteries.
Disposable Type of Batteries:
Lithium: This is a fast-growing battery unit. These type of batteries are used when high-energy density and lightweight is the prime concern. These are generally ideal for high-drain devices.
These types of batteries currently hold the highest self-life in the disposable category. Additionally, they function very well even in extreme temperature. However, these are more expensive than alkaline batteries.
Alkaline: Though these have high current output, they have a well to do a low-temperature performance. These batteries are ideal for low drain devices like TV remote controllers. These are affordable and are available almost everywhere.
Nickel Metal Hydrides: Also known as hybrid batteries, the Nickel-metal hydrides are ready to be used as soon as the package is opened. These type of batteries have very little shelf-charge and is ideal for both low and high drain type devices.
Tough these batteries are expensive, there energy level declines by 10-15 percent after every few hundred recharges.
Lithium-ion: These sorts of batteries are delicate, and they require a protection circuit to ensure safety. These are generally used as cell phone batteries or notebook computers and have a very low self-discharge rate. However, these can be recharged multiple times.
Nickel Cadmium: These types are cheaper to create. However, they are expensive to buy and are used in a wide variety of devices. Their storage is pretty easy and they do not get damaged under the general circumstance. All in all, these batteries are easy to use and fast to recharge.
Rechargeable and Disposal Batteries:
Even though you might be aware of the different types of batteries, choosing the ideal one for your device will still be difficult, if you do not understand the difference between rechargeable and disposable batteries.
If you have noticed, rechargeable batteries are usually more expensive since they can be used multiple times after recharging. These kinds of pay for themselves in the long run since they have a long shelf life.
Disposable batteries, on the other hand. Are more commonly available. They can be used whenever required, used, and then tossed out once they are dead. However, these batteries end up in landfills and add to environmental degradation.
Plus, disposable batteries are only useful for low drain devices like a clock and remote controllers. However, which type of battery you will choose depends on you.
Benefits Of Using AA Batteries
Having an AA battery installed in a device ensures a fresh supply of energy. These types of batteries have a single-cell and have a standard size irrespective of the electrolytes used. The AA cell is the most popular power cell for small devices like RC toys, flashlights, and digital cameras.
AA batteries are available widely. These can also be long-lasting once-use designed batteries that are deal for cameras, and are rechargeable. One of the biggest advantage of these types of batteries is that that cost very less.
Since they are widely available, one can never run on low power if their device runs on a AA battery. These cells are available in every drugstore, grocery marts, and even local convenient stores.
FAQS – AA Batteries For Cold Weather
What is the best AA batteries for cold weather?
Though most of the batteries listed in this piece are ideal for cold temperatures, the Tipsun AA Lithium Batteries are the ideal ones to be used in cold weather conditions. These batteries work very well for trail cameras and can survive rain, ice, and snow and temperatures as low as -40℃ to 60℃. Additionally, the capacity of these cells is extremely high and these have a very high shelf life. The batteries have low-density unit loss, around 2 per cent per year which lasts the battery for almost 15 years. Powered by2900mAh capacity, these batteries are a must have for hikers, or for those who live in extreme conditions.
Do AA batteries work in cold weather?
Not exactly. There are many companies that manufacture AA batteries that work extremely well in cold weather conditions. Some batteries can perform well in temperatures as extreme as -40 degrees to -60 degrees. However extreme temperatures can freeze the battery fluid. However, some companies manufacture batteries for cold temperatures thus they perform well.
Do batteries last longer in the cold?
This very much depends on the type of batteries. How long batteries will hold their charge or how quickly they will discharge depends very much on its design and temperature. Cold batteries can hold their charge longer than batteries in the room temperature. However, hot batteries do not hold the charge as much as batteries placed at room temperature. However, it’s important to store the batteries in a cool place when not in use. Additionally, cold batteries discharge much faster than warmer batteries. However, extreme temperatures can damage batteries, or they might even ignite if the temperature is too hot. A lot of people practice refrigerating batteries, but they perform best at room temperature.
How cold is too cold for batteries?
This is something that depends on the type of material used in the battery. For instance, alkaline batteries are made with water-based electrolytes. Additionally, near freezing point temperature can lead to reduced ion mobility which reduces chemical reactions that provide electrical power. This leads to a drop in performance. Even rechargeable batteries perform poorly in low temperatures as well. Ideally, 32 degrees F is as lowest the batteries can take. If temperature lowers than this, there might be a great drop in the performance level.
What temperature is bad for batteries?
All batteries generally have an optimum service life at 20 degrees Celcius. For instance, if a battery works at 30 degrees Celcius instead of room temperature then life is going to be reduced by 20 degrees Celsius. But lithium batteries are manufactured to perform at low temperatures. The elevated internal resistance causes some form of a warming effect. This is caused by efficiency loss resulting due to the voltage drop when the load current is applied. Though NiCd batteries go up to -40 degree Celcius the permissible discharge stands only at 0. 2C at a 5-hour rate. Additionally, Li-ion can function at -40 degrees Celcius with a reduced discharge rate.
Though there are many best AA batteries for cold temperatures, it’s advisable to research on the different types available in the market to select one that suits one’s need. To that end, the different products listed in this article along with the FAQs, buying guide, and benefits will come in handy. However, whenever possible extra research is advisable. This becomes an important factor if batteries are going to be the sole source of power.