Squirrels are cute animals, but if you own a farm, these animals can be a menace. You will have no choice but to hunt them down. Squirrels can be the ideal animals to hunt if you are a novice at hunting. It’s a great start for those learning the sport.
However, do not be under the impression that hunting squirrels are easy. These notorious things move very fast and are very sensitive to noise. Thus, if you want to hunt the squirrels you will have to get your hands on the best pellet guns for squirrel hunting.
But how would you know which rifle is ideal for this hunting game? That’s where we come in! We have found out ten options for you to look into if you are planning to hunt squirrels. Additionally, we will cover all that you need to know about squirrel hunting in this article so that you are off to a well-informed start! So, let’s begin!
Reviews of the Best Pellet Gun For Squirrels
**Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Table of Contents
- 1 Reviews of the Best Pellet Gun For Squirrels
- 2 Best Pellet Gun For Squirrels – Top 10 Reviews
- 2.1 1. Gamo 6110017154 Varmint Air Rifle
- 2.2 2. Ruger Blackhawk Combo Air Rifle
- 2.3 3. Daisy Outdoor Products Model 1938 Red Ryder BB Gun
- 2.4 4. Crosman 1077 Repeat Air Semi-Automatic CO2 Pellet Gun Air Rifle
- 2.5 5. Gamo 611006325554 Whisper Fusion Mach 1 Air Rifle .22 Cal
- 2.6 6. Gamo Bone Collector Maxxim IGT Air Rifle, .22 Caliber
- 2.7 7. Umarex Ruger Targis Hunter Max Pellet Gun
- 2.8 8. Gamo 6110017154 Varmint Air Rifle .177 Cal
- 2.9 9. Gamo 611006875554 Swarm Whisper Air Rifle, .22 Caliber
- 2.10 10. Gamo Swarm Whisper Air Rifle .177 Caliber 1300 fps
- 3 Choosing The Best Weapon For Squirrel Hunting:
- 4 Things To Consider Before Buying Pellet Gun For Squirrels
- 5 FAQS – Pellet Gun For Squirrels
- 6 Helpful Tips for Squirrel Hunting
- 7 Final Verdict
Best Pellet Gun For Squirrels – Top 10 Reviews
Now that you have all the details about the types of guns you should look into, its time to consider a few best ones that are currently quite popular in the market. Each of the guns reviewed below varies in price range, distance and comfort. So it’s important that you select one that suits your needs.
The Gamo 6110017154 Varmint Air Rifle is able to shoot .177 PBA Platinum alloy pellet at 1250 fps. This makes this gun ideal for small hunting games, pest control and target practice. The 4×32 mm scope allows one to identify small hard to see objects easily. In addition, to its amazing performance, the Gamo 6110017154 comes with an all-weather moulded synthetic stock along with non-slip texturing placed on the pistol grip and forearm.
- Gun comes with .177 Cal pellet single cocking break barrel
- Features long-lasting spring piston which delivers a speed of 1250 fps
- The steel barrel of the rifle is polymer jacketed.
- Comes with grooved cylinder rails
- 4 x 32 Shockproof Scope of the gun allows adjustments in the second stage
- Comes with noise-dampening features
- Allows shooting from a distance of 20-25 yards
- Ideal weight
- Fun and easy to operate
- Perfect for beginners
- Breaking the barrel requires some time and pressure
- The zoom scope is not adjustable
- Only one pellet at a time can be loaded, and once done cannot be removed
The Ruger Blackhawk Combo air rifle is a spring-piston that comes with an angle-shot barrel. Additionally, this gun comes with all-weather Ambi composite stock and fibre optic sights which offers a fully adjustable rear. Using this rifle is pretty simple as it comes with a 4×32 scope and mount. If you are thinking of getting rid of rodents and going for plinking, this is the gun to opt for.
- Able to shoot .177 calibre bullets
- Offers a velocity of 10000.00ft/sec
- One year warranty included
- Includes a 4×32 Scope
- Offers a dense, strong and real feeling
- Accurate, powerful and well-made gun
- Perfect documentation presented with the gun
- Smooth and fit metal.
- Too heavy
- The scope is not up to the mark
- To loud to use
- Faulty cocking lever pin
If you are planning on buying this gun, then you will be purchasing a piece of heritage! The Daisy Outdoor Products 25 Pump Gun model was developed in 1914, about 100 years ago. This design remained a part of the company’s airgun line up till 1978. In 2007, the airgun was purchased by Daisy and the company retained some of the finest features like the solid wood pistol grip stock, the classic steel construction, screw-in tubes peep and open rear sight and much more.
The gun offers pump-action spring air along with smooth bore steel barrel. The rear side of the gun can be adjusted for windage and elevation and can be flipped from open sights to peep sights. The solid wood pistol grip stock is sure to provide better hold and grip. Finally, the gun offers a maximum velocity of 350 feet per second.
- Easy and simple use kit provided
- Comes with pump-action air gun with spring option
- Uses .177-caliber BB ammo in a stainless steel barrel
- Offers velocity of 350 feet per second
- Pistol grip, stock and forearm grip made out of stained solid wood
- Accurate at 5 meters
- Ideal weight and solid construction
- Easy to use and reload
- Feed barrel is easy to operate
- At times the end get difficult to unscrew and reload
- The spring-loaded bb retainer can smack fingers if not careful
- The rear sight cannot be adjusted
- Very small peep side hole
If you want to succeed at small games and hunting you need to find a gun that is accurate. The Crosman 1077 Repeat Air Semi-Automatic CO2 Pellet Gun Air Rifle can help you to that end. Made in the USA, the gun uses the highest quality material and components in the manufacturing process. The performance of the gun has passed through various quality tests. If you are buying this gun, you can be rest assured, that you are getting your hands on one of the trusted brands. The CO2 cartridge that fuels the gun is sold separately. Finally, its a semi-automatic rifle, which shooters can rely upon. The gun is super fast and fires as soon as the trigger is pulled.
- Synthetic material
- Made in the USA
- Performance tested
- CO2 fueled gun
- Semi-automatic rifle
- Fast performance
- Ideal weight and feel
- Trigger pull is quite long
- Cross-bolt type safety placed on the trigger guard
- Offers 50 shot per CO2 cartridge
- CO2 can leak
- Difficult to set the CO2 cartridge
- Lacks accuracy
This repeater features a very powerful IGT Mach 1 system. Not only does this air rifle provide more power, owing to its IGT Mach 1 system it provides better accuracy, consistent power and reduced level of vibration when a shot is taken. All these benefits make this gun a prized possession in the collection of any outdoor person.
Another exciting feature of this gun is its all-weather thumbhole black stock paired with rubberized grip. Additionally, it comes with a brand new two-stage adjustable Gamo trigger and objective scope. All, in all, this gun offers quite a few latest technologies.
- 1300 FPS muzzle velocity
- 3-9X40a0 scope
- Helps improve knockout power and velocity
- Makes less vibration and is consistent
- Provides the best break barrel in the market
- Very accurate and powerful
- First and second stage pull can be adjusted
- Very loud
- Hard cocking breaks
- Not very powerful scope
This is yet another powerful gun featuring the most powerful technologies presented by Gamo. It has a 33 mm cylinder and the IGT Mach 1 that delivers premium-level power shots. It uses 1,300 fps in .22 calibre and is combined with the power of patent-pending, and 10 X Quick-Shot. Additionally, it has Whisper Fusion technologies that provide this gun with one of the best break barrels!
- .22 Cal high power gun with cocking break barrel
- 1300 fps with PBA platinum
- 33 mm cylinder along with IGT Mach 1. The gas piston provides an upgrade over IIGT.
- Comes with Whisper Fusion noise
- 10X Quick-Shot patent-pending technology
- Recoil reducing rail scope results in along lasting gun
- Possible to adjust the first and second stages of the Custom Adjust Trigger
- Easy to snap-in
- Very accurate
- Comfortable scope
- Is quite heavy
- Suspensors made out of plastic can break
- Multi-feed jams often
Umarex Ruger Targis Hunter Max is a high velocity and high impact pellet air rifle. Powered with 1200 FPS and SilencAir Noise Dampening System, this is one of the best guns well designed for small hunting games and shooting. In addition to these features, this particular air rifle offers an easiest cock break barrel than any other magnum air rifle present in the market. The Silence system that it offers is a non-removable suppressor with five chambers that decrease the muzzle sound to a great extent. Finally, this gun comes with a 3-9×32 scope and an all-weather adjustable 2-stage trigger.
- Comes with ergonomic all-weather stock
- The stock has checked rubber inserts that make gripping easy
- Umarex exclusive integral nucleus rail platform reduces scope movement and vibration in zero-shot
- Adjustable objective air rifle scope
- 5-chamber SilencAir is fixed to the air rifle and reduces down range
- Turbo Nitrogen Technology power system included
- Very powerful and accurate
- Scope offers yardage parallax compensation
- Well constructed gun
- The rifle has a heavy trigger pull
- Makes a lot of noise
- Sites in scope are not that good
Powered with the IGT Inert Gas Technology piston, the Hornet Maxxim offers higher velocity and decreased vibration that lengthens the lifespan of the gun. Additionally, there is a Whisper Maxxim that are, two noise dampening chambers that makes way for quieter performance and a muzzle break design. Piled with all the new features, this gun is quite lightweight. The rifle also comes with the popular CAT (Custom Action Trigger) that offers pin-point accuracy to shooters while taking a shot. The first and second stage of the trigger can be adjusted as per the requirement of the shooter. Plus, this repeater comes with the Gamo 3-9×40 scope and the RRR (Recoil Reducing Rail), tailor-made to perform for high-powered rifles. This technology lengthens the lifespan of the gun since it offers 99.9 per cent recoil suspension.
- Offers .22 calibre pellet cocking break barrel
- 975 FPS
- Come with IGT (Inert Gas Technology)
- The Whisper MAXXIM noise dampening technology
- Gamo 3-9×40 Scope with the RRR (Recoil Reducing Rail)
- The affordable price of the performance offered
- Well constructed gun
- Easy to load and very accurate
- Sighting on the cope does not work well
- Quite loud
- Grouping shots take a little while to get used to
This TEN-SHOT BREAK BARREL AIR RIFLE gives out 10 shots with no reloads and the possibilities are just endless. All these features make the Swarm Fusion 10X GEN2 Air Rifle.
very compact and low profile. The second-generation 10x comes with easy to use features and pinpoint accuracy. The barrel is easy to crack and once loaded it can fire lightning-quick shots! The Swarm Fusion 10X GEN2 Air Rifle combines all the popular features of the Gamo in one single rifle. All, in all, this rifle is the single answer to all the pest and vermin problems.
- CAT trigger with 3-9X40 optics
- SWA Recoil Pad
- IGT 10X quick shots provided
- Muzzle velocity of 1300 FPS
- Whisper Fusion Noise Dampening Technology
- Very accurate shots
- Smooth trigger
- Concking is very easy
- Not all types of pellets work in the gun
- The gun is quite loud
- The scope has design issues
This gun is ideal for hunting and pest control. The patent-pending 10X Quick-Shot allows the shooter to strike up to 10 pellets without reloading the barrel. Additionally, adding quick follow-up shots is also quite easy! The muzzle velocity of the gun is at 1300 FPS, and it offers the Whisper Noise Dampening technology to lower the sound of the shots. Finally, this gun offers the standard trigger and 4X32 optics.
- Single cocking break barrel
- IGT (Inert Gas Technology) included
- Comes with Gamo 2-stage standard trigger
- Energy is 17.8 Foot Pounds
- Trigger pull is at 3.53 Pounds
- Pull length is 14.4 Inches
- Easy to use a premium quality rifle
- Scope mounting is easy and quick
- Takes accurate shots
- Heavier than expected
- Takes loud shots
- Safety trigger does not perform very well
Choosing The Best Weapon For Squirrel Hunting:
If you are planning to hunt squirrels, there are multiple weapons that you can choose from. The best ones in the category are shotguns, the .22 calibre rifle, bow and arrow, and air rifles.
Though since you are searching for pellet guns, your choice is clear; but having a bit of knowledge about the other different types of weapon can be useful.
These cover a larger amount of space during the hunt. A shotgun shell is sure to cover a large area on the squirrel body thus ensuring a sure shot kill without damaging the meat too much. It’s important to aim the shotgun carefully to ensure that the target is in the area you want it to be.
However, shotguns are quite loud and create a huge noise with each fire. This makes sure you are focused and precise on the target to make a sure kill.
The .22 Calibre Rifle:
These are small calibre bullets that target the animals with precision and is ideal for small hunting games. Not only does a .22 calibre ammo produces a longer range than a shotgun, but it also does not impact the meat of the animal too much. However, precision and focus are required for knocking the target while using this ammo too.
Fortunately, most .22 calibre rifles come with an automatic reloading feature. This allows the user to add multiple rounds inside the rifle before one can start shooting and then release one of the rounds each time they fire the trigger.
Bow and Arrow:
Honestly, bows and arrows are not that great option to use while for squirrels. Since these animals move very fast and are quite small, brows and arrows often fail to hit the target. However, if you still choose to opt for these, leave your deer hunting bows at home and go for the smaller one.
Make sure your bows are sharpened to make way for easy penetration and very cautious about the target. If the right spot is not hit, the bow can slice through the squirrel’s body leaving behind very little meat.
Though it may look daunting, air rifles are great options for squirrel hunting and are cheapest of all the available options. Though they are best suited for small hunts, air rifles require a lot of patience to make a humane kill since the surface area of the squirrel’s body is too small. One has the hit the exact spot to make the killer hit, otherwise, all the effort is lost.
Things To Consider Before Buying Pellet Gun For Squirrels
As mentioned earlier, squirrels move very fast and can be tricky to shoot. To handle the situation better, you require a gun that has both precision and power. Additionally, there are a few other things that you have to look into:
The pellet gun must hit the targeted squirrel even from a long distance. Obviously you do not want to get too close to the squirrels since even the slightest movement will alert them and you will not hit the target. Thus, consider buying long-range guns or at least guns that have a reliable shooting range.
For small games and squirrels hunting, you require a minimum of 8 pounds of energy per target to make a critical hit. Higher you go up in the game size, higher will be the requirement of quality energy.
The CO2 completely depends on the warmth of the temperature. While these have some benefits, CO2 powered pellet guns are difficult to use during cold seasons. If you happen to live in cold places, or even if the cold season is approaching, you give might render useless for your squirrel hunting expedition. Thus to avoid such confusions, avoid using a CO2-powered pellet gun.
This plays a huge huge role in small hunting games. If you select the wrong calibre you run the risk of missing out the target or blowing up the same. Thus do your research and select a calibre that suits your squirrel hunting needs.
Being comfortable with your firearm while shooting squirrels is essential. Remember, small hunting games take a lot of time and patience and one has to be very cautious so that they do not miss the target. All in all, you will be spending a lot of time with your gun in your hand. Thus make sure it’s not very heavy like a boat anchor or too light that it would recoil after every shot. Additionally, you should be able to reach the trigger comfortable. Thus even before you make the purchase, go to a store and do a few trials.
There are multiple actions types including pump-action, semi-automatic, bolt-action,lever-action, and single-shot. Your hunting or shooting activity will determine the type of gun that you will want. However, sometimes, it depends on personal preference too. Semi-autos make way for followup shots. Bolt-actions, however, are more strong and reliable, and pump actions have proponents like lever-actions. So, the choices are varied, and it depends on your personal taste.
Stocks are available in multiple materials including wood, laminated wood, plastic and fibreglass. Wood is traditional and mostly preferred for its look and feel. On the other hand, laminated woods are more strong and durable and are better off in fending aways dings and nicks than wood. Of course, a synthetic stock can be opted for, but they are expensive. However, they are less affected by moisture compared to wood stocks and can handle rough handling.
FAQS – Pellet Gun For Squirrels
What is the best pellet gun for squirrels?
Though there are many high performing pellets guns in the market, the Hornet Maxxim Air Rifle is one of the best. The gun is easy to load, accurate and is well constructed. Additionally, its price is also quite affordable. The gun has all the state of the art technology installed so that shooting with it can be both fun and to the point.
Do pellet guns kill squirrels?
If one has to kill squirrels then a pellet rifle has to be used and not a pellet gun. BB guns in all probability will injure the squirrel but not kill them and that is very cruel. There are different air rifles available in the market that vary as per shooting mechanism, calibre and types. These are very different from the general rifles that have atmospheric pressure in a thousand. If killing squirrels is the motive, then a lot of things must be considered before buying the ideal rifle.
How strong does a pellet gun have to be to kill a squirrel?
There are many pellet guns in the market that can be used for small hunting games. In fact, if you are buying your gun online, just by searching “small hunting game guns” will open a huge load of option for you. However, ideally, the calibre must be predecided to select a gun that can work perfectly. Mostly, .177 and .22 calibre is ideal for killing squirrels. Any pellet gun that falls in this category can be looked into.
Can a 177 pellet gun kill a squirrel?
A .177 gun is ideal to kill a squirrel or to be used in small hunting gamed. However, the shot must be very accurate and directly made on the head to make it a sure shot kill. However, this is one of the most popular choices of calibre for people who enjoy hunting squirrels.
Helpful Tips for Squirrel Hunting
Now that you have your firearms takes care of, its time to look at a few useful tips which will make your squirrel hunting trip a success.
Choosing the right time for your hunting is essential. Squirrels are most active during the early morning hours or in the late afternoon. Stick to the morning hours, since this is when they hunt for foods.
On the same lines, avoid hunting squirrels during inclement weather as like deer they move about. Again, in the late afternoons, the squirrels bring back food to their homes. They are mostly busy foraging this time so spotting them is easy.
Identify The Right Places:
It’s crucial to plan your hunts in areas where you can find squirrels easily. Check out areas that have lots of trees. Pro Tip: Look for trees that produce nuts. Most squirrels are likely to visit these. Also, an oak tree is ideal to find squirrels.
All in all, look for trees that produce fruits or nuts. Run a search and identify such trees in your locality.
Once you have spotted the trees scan through the foliage and leaves to spot the animal. Many a time you will not be able to see them clearly, but you can hear them. Thus work on your hearing skills. Make sure you look and listen to them carefully so that you know where exactly to shoot at. Keep your ears open to detect noises related to moving of leaves, cutting, hulling or scarping.
If squirrels are creating havoc in your garden or farm, having one of the best pellet gun handy is essential. These guns are often effective for people who are just learning to hunt. Before moving on to the big kills, focusing on the small ones is essential to get in the hang of things. Indeed the selection process can be difficult, but with a list of the top products along with their pros and cons highlighted, choosing the ideal pellet gun for squirrel hunting will not be difficult.